Thursday, February 18, 2010

Who am I?

Six months from now, I will begin a great journey to find myself. I want to see who I am out of the context of society, out of the context of civilization, out of the context of my comfortable acquaintances. I want to find out who I really am.

I will immerse myself in a new environment, without knowing anybody. My plan is not to get to meet people; this is exactly the opposite of what I want to do. My plan is to view society without being part of it.

I think in this society, we form ourselves too much by the people around us. Heck, we get married before we understand who we, truly, really are. I want to switch this order. I will discover myself, and who I am, and what my goals in life really should be through this journey. I may not be able to attain these goals, but at least I have a target to aim for.

So the question remains; who am I? Right now, I am, outwardly, who you want me to be, but I don't want to be that person any more. I want to be who I am, or at least understand who I am.

5 comments:

Claire said...

Hmmm. going abroad? If so, where are you going? I'm curious to hear all about this..

My next door neighbor decided to go without a cellphone for about half a year just as a social experiment. She found that friends were more likely to come find her when they wanted to do stuff with her and so she established some interesting relationships. Anyway, it helped that most of her friends lived in the same dorm as her, cause she had just transferred. but cool anyway.

Mike said...

I am going to New Zealand. Doing my own thing, not through a program. I'm Woofing, but that's really secondary to why I'm really there. It should be interesting. 4 months in a foreign country with no one but myself should let me think a little. I'm afraid I'll fall in love with myself out of society and realize what society is and never want to come back. I'm sure I will, though. I'm excited.

You going abroad?

Claire said...

Man, New Zealand.... that is crazy! So even though you're not going through a program, are you doing anything specific there, academic or otherwise?
That sounds like it would be tons of fun... I've always wanted to just go abroad but not actually do it through school. But I'm afraid I would never want to come back...

Mike said...

Just being there/working on farms and figuring out who I am. You should go! If you go when you're in college at least you'll have some motivation to come back =)

I'm really lucky my AP credit counted for me. It basically gives me a free semester.

Claire said...

Haha well I have no time college-wise because I pretty much have full hours until I graduate, and I might not even make it in four years... and then there's med school.

I'd love to go travel somewhere though... there always seems to be an issue somehow though.