Thursday, November 08, 2007

SSA8MyBsaWZl

"Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me"

So, yeah. Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve. They'll have to find me. Cause where I am now is where I want to be. The status quo is amazing. Although it is not necessarily the best thing.

I think I am getting over this terrible teenager stage.

I am so amazingly happy with everything right now.

So there was this kid. This kid on the Cross Country team (and, I know, I'll stop obsessing over xc in a few weeks, don't worry). He was biking down about a block from my house. Or maybe more. But really close. And so, I kinda knew him. But last Saturday, I noticed police tape and a kinda heap of metal on the road. It was the bike the police were apparently trying to piece together. So then on Monday, I heard about this whole thing. This whole thing and who it involved.

You see, I could see myself doing exactly what that kid did. Biking across the street. Not looking. And bam. In the hospital with almost every bone in his face broken. But he was wearing a helmet. So he's not dead, luckily.

So the team sends him a card, I send him something saying to get well soon. You know, all light-hearted and stuff. Like sending a card to the president. You don't expect anything to come of it or it to have any importance.

Then I hear from my coach who visited him in the hospital. He's not looking too good. He's not looking good at all. He's currently in a medically-induced coma, but the doctors aren't really sure whether he'll actually come out of that coma once they take him off the medications. He hasn't responded since the accident (although the doctors think they might have felt him squeeze his finger when they were seeing if he was conscious).

But this could have been me. This could have easily been me. I bike every day. And I usually bike without a helmet. Without a helmet. I would be dead right now. That easily. Without warning.

One slight mistake can bring the ultimate consequence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it could be worse. plus imagine what his parents must be going through. poor kid.

i guess it's always a good idea to wear a helmet. i don't.

Mike said...

Yeah. Now I'm like terrified to bike. I guess I just need to get over that fear.

Anonymous said...

well, if you look both ways, i'm sure it could at least reduce that chance by twenty-fold. I mean, the car would have to be speeding very fast if you didn't see it when looking before crossing.

Mike said...

yes..but the thing is..I'm not always perfect and look both ways...:/

Oh well. Just finished a Bates supplement essay responding to the quote ''Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.''
- Marie Curie

I think that has some relevance.