Saturday, November 10, 2007

wicked happy

So, yes. NNHS xc lost today. It's funny how cross country is. You have good days and bad days. You can go from one minute slower than your best time to one minute faster than your best time back to one minute slower than your best time in three consecutive races. A lot of it is about luck. What we eat that day, how cold it is, how much we are motivated. It's all luck, really.

But, yeah. At least Seb did well.

Hmm. What should I talk about now? I really have nothing entertaining to say.

Maybe I should talk about how much I want to do stuff with my friends but like have no time to do so. But I actually really do. I am busy during the week, but I don't know the last time I've done something actually entertaining on a Friday night.

But, yeah. Who wants to read my Colby essay? Oh yes.

Writing prompt:
Discuss this quotation

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
-Marie Curie

"When I was in third grade, I realized that life is very fragile. My parents sat both me and my sister down on the couch, and they told us that the life of my 16 year old cousin was cut short by a thick stump on the side of a slippery road. I didn’t know how to deal with it. My life was no longer a thing to take for granted. My life could end just like that, without any warning.

I wasn’t sure how to deal with this truth in third grade. After a few weeks, I began eating less. Within a month or two, I had lost over 10 pounds. My parents couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me, so they ran many, many tests for several months, each coming out as negative. Finally, by the time my doctor recommended I see a therapist, my ribs were visible through my back.

My trip to the therapist was not only to help with my weight problem. After my cousin’s death, I had become more and more attached to my parents, never wanting to be separated from them. It seems that fear had taken over my life, fear of losing the ones I love, fear of losing my own life, fear that something unexpected would happen which would separate me from my parents forever.

After a few months with the therapist, things seemed to be improving. Instead of acting on my fears, I understood them. I understood that what happened to my cousin was not normal. I understood that what happened to my cousin will most likely not happen to me any time soon. Now I understand that worrying about these futile things, the one in a million chances, is not worth it.

I no longer fear death such as that of my cousin. I do not fear what could happen, but rather accept that it could happen and live my life not worrying. We must understand that life is too short to worry about it ending. In a way, life is like going skydiving. We all are going to hit the ground sometime. It is just a matter of how much we enjoy the ride. "


Uhm, good job if you read all that.

Peace.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

busy as a bee isn't as busy as can be.

Marie Curie was pretty kickass. I wish I could be more like her.

Mike said...

I guess being busy isn't as busy as can be? hmm..don't really get that one. And Marie Curie is reasonably sweet. I know like nothing about her. But I know several people who are obsessed with her.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad i'm obsessed with other people. i love Marie Curie, but after a while she can get kind of boring.

basically, you are busy as a bee, but never too busy or busy enough.

Mike said...

hmm. I wanna be busier than a bee.
But, yeah. Maybe I should learn more about her. Pretty much everyone will get boring after you learn a lot about them, though.

Anonymous said...

haha don't bother learning more about someone just because other people have. if you're not that interested, let it be. besides, it's always nice to have someone else tell you about something instead of being one of those "I need to know everything about everything" people who's filled with annoying, useless knowledge. I'm not making any assumptions, I'm just saying.

Mike said...

Yeah..I guess it is really pointless to learn stuff if you don't have an interest in it...but, yeah...I know what you're saying about people who think they know everything.

My AP spanish teacher was saying in the other day that "ooh..all you teenagers think you know everything". Then I like was probably really obnoxious and said..yeah...uhm most def not in this class at least. But, yeah. I don't know like anything and if I am ever like pretentious and say that I know everything, I deserved to be like yelled at.

Sometimes it is nice to not know stuff.

Anonymous said...

haha deserve to be yelled at. it's nice you can admit that....if that qualifies as an admittance.

obnoxious old people are the worst.

Mike said...

sigh...yeah...I guess I am pretty pretentious sometimes. I'll admit that.

And, yes. Obnoxious old people are the worst. But what can you do. They've been on this earth for more than double the amount of time we have (well..depending how old). But basically they have so much more experience than we have. So I guess we just have to put up with what they say. But like understand that they are old and some of them are losing it..

uhm..I think I have an idea who this might be..but just wondering..do you know me? cause this is a bit awk if I'm writing to a complete stranger.

Anonymous said...

"do one thing everyday that scares you."

i think that's what i'm doing now. I'm pretty much an awful person, I hope you've gotten over it because I still remember.

Mike said...

Sigh.

No. You are not an awful person. Anything but that.

About the question of whether I’ve gotten over it. Yes and no. I still remember, that’s for sure. I’ve more learned to deal with it. I mean, guys aren’t supposed to feel pain, right? (not that I feel that way)

But what has happened has happened and can not happen again. I forgive what happened on your side. Now the question is…do you forgive me for practically ignoring you for 3 years? Because I know I will never forgive myself.

Can we just be chill now?

Anonymous said...

oh please. don't wrap yourself in gender stereotypes. that's the lamest thing you can do. you can do and feel and be whatever the hell you want to regardless of gender.

ignoring me? hmmm, i dono about that one. it was really all three years? see I guess you did a good job of ignoring it, because I suppose I realized it but not always. errr, that sentence doesn't make sense. i'm bad at rewording it, so i shall leave it as is.

Anonymous said...

oh and yes, we can be chill now i suppose. hmmmmmmm. many things are afoot, and many more to come.

Mike said...

Yeah. I know. I hate gender stereotypes too. But I don't like hide my feelings because I'm a guy. I hide my feelings because..well..I'm me.

Sigh. Why am I terrified to talk to you? I don't even know why. Maybe you should talk to me sometime and I won't be so scared. and I mean more like talking. Not so much like writing. I'll try, too.

Many things are possibly afoot?

And feel free to punch me. Very hard. If this ever again turns into something you don't want it to be.

Anonymous said...

hahaha yesssss I can punch someone. just kidding. i like hitting things; i think you know that.

may I reiterate? (god I love that word):
"do one thing everyday that scares you"

Mike said...

done. Or at least for today.

haha..now I'm scared. punching sofftly plz.

Mike said...

p.s...I thought you hated me.

Sudden change of heart?

Anonymous said...

perhapses. who knoooows.

Mike said...

I apologize. Here I am saying that what happened is in the past..and now I go on asking questions about it. I shouldn't have asked that question.