Sunday, April 30, 2006

Good news. I passed my driver's test. Just a hint of advice for anyone who is planning on taking their test any time in the future. Never ask the policeman how to put the car in drive.

So I got up at like 6:18 in the morning, after my alarm clock failed to go off. I figured I had plenty of time before I would actually be taking my test, so I wasn't really worried at that point. Then, all the sudden (it seemed like five minutes after I got up), I was standing outside in the cold with a group of shivering, nervous teenagers. Ok, so maybe I was the only one who was nervous. Cams auto school is a scam. They charge you to wake up at six fifteen on a Saturday morning, and they make you stand outside in the freezing cold and wait for several hours to for the stupid test when I could have just taken it after school some day like everyone else at the RMV. But anyways, there I was, standing next to a bunch of people I dont know. I was expecting to have to wait another hour or so before I was actually taking my test, so I sort of relaxed and zoned out.

Then, all the sudden, they were yelling my name, and I jumped in the car before I could get nervous. I started the car, adjusted the mirrors, and all the little things you have to do before you start driving, but then I couldn't figure it out. I didn't know how to put the car in drive because I was used to having the shifter in the center, whereas this car had it next to the driving wheel. So I asked the policeman, "how do you put it in dri..."

She gave me this look. I won't ever forget that look. If taking a drivers test was skating on thin ice, I heard the ice crack beneath my skates. She could have failed me there, but no. I didn't finish the sentence. I gave it another try and made it. From then on, I knew I was going to pass the test. How stupider could I get than not putting the car in drive. So I passed it. Now I'm an adult. Or at least more of an adult than I was before.


~Mike

1 comment:

katytx13 said...

thats awesome that you passed your test i cant wait until i can take mine..if they pass that stupid law im moving...to australia! i like the description...very excellent writing u could submit it somewhere lol....

katy